7.25.2006

"Can I ask you a Question?"

The "Can ask you a question?" question is rarely followed by something people wish to respond to. A friend of mine recently faced this initial inquiry and resultant problem. To compound matters, she then had to deal with a sometimes related but always annoying problem, the unwanted come on.
Yes, my friend found herself surrounded by swingers, asked if she was bi-sexual, and then propositioned for a role in the hay, French style. When she responded in the negative to both questions she was then asked if she'd like to take the 19 year-old nephew of this couple for a test run. It remains unclear as to whether she or the nephew was then considered the consolation prize.
I report this incident for several reasons:
1. It's funny once you move beyond the inherent awkwardness. I really couldn't say if there is a stereotypical identity for people who like to bring 3 or more people into the bedroom. But if going off a vague notion of a swinger stereotype, my friend would certainly not fit into that category.
2. It demonstrates the difficulties people with adventurous or polyamorous tendencies face.
3. I have nothing else, but I feel as if a list should have at least 3 points, aesthetically speaking.

Topical Discussion: One general theme of my previous blog, Ju-Ju Cling On, pondered a similar problem, the unwanted come-on (I guess this could count as point 3). In that particular case, and a weird one it was, the come-on was completely related to friendship. The crazy lady identified my friend as someone she would like to call friend and hit on her in a basically non-sexual manner. I can't say the same for my other friend. Where does one draw the line separating flattery and annoyance? An attractive member of the opposite sex? Flattery, perhaps. An ugly member of the opposite sex? Annoying, for the most part. A friend who tries to move the friendship in a different direction? Generally annoying. It all depends on ones perspective and inclination. Add any other combination to the mix, step away from heteronormative gender roles and socially acceptable forms of behavior and things get interesting.

Discuss.

No comments: